Is lockdown life feeling a little “meh”? Then a bright ‘n bold new look is probably just what you need. Say hello to magical, multicoloured unicorn hair. Multicoloured locks are a fun and flirty way to express your unique style. Variations of this hair colour trend have been around for a while and we love seeing the look reimagined.
What Exactly is Unicorn Hair?
You might have given rainbow hair or mermaid locks a try over the past few seasons. We loved the rich, bold ombre of blues for mermaid locks and the seven-colour rainbow style.
Unicorn hair is the 2020 update you need if you’re about that bold hair colour life. It’s easy to understand where it gets the name. Unicorn hair combines several soft pastel shades to get a multicoloured, magical look. The combination of cotton candy pinks, purple pastels and baby blues creates a mystical, otherworldly look that’s straight out of a storybook.
How to Get Supernatural Hair
While the tones of this style are a bit softer, there is nothing natural about Unicorn hair. What we love about this kind of ethereal look is the opportunity for variety. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to getting the look, so the first step is deciding what style of unicorn hair suits your vibe and what shades you want to work with.
- Unicorn hair needs one or more colours in varying shades. Be inspired by colours like blush, lilac, aqua, bubblegum, buttercup and pistachio. Decide how many colours and which tones you want to add to your look. You might choose to work with several shades of purple or contrasting streaks of orange and baby blue.
- Now you need to decide on the application. Are you thinking root to tip colour or a wash of unicorn hair from mid-length down? Unicorn hair can look amazing blended into your own natural colour or work into a silver-grey base. Choose from streaks, ombre, balayage or a highlight style.
- Not sure where to start? Get inspired by celebs and influencers. Kylie Jenner, Bella Thorne, Billie Eilish, Lady Gaga, Hilary Duff and Ke$ha are just some of the A-Listers to have worked pastel unicorn hair.
- Once you’ve settled on the style, you’re ready to make it happen. The good news is that you don’t have to wait until the end of lockdown to get to a salon. Get unicorn hair at home with Renew’s Colour Play Kits. These kits have been specially designed to help you get the exact shade you’re looking for. Simply follow the instructions in the pack to ace that perfect pastel lavender, mint or pink hues. If you’re looking for a monochromatic unicorn look, then stick to one colour and change the application to vary the shade.
- Accessorise! Now that you’ve achieved a whimsical pastel palette, step up the sparkle with accessories. We love adding glitter and pearl clips for a real girly vibe. Space buns and plaits also work wonders with multicoloured hair.
- Prolong your colour by using a colour maintenance shampoo and conditioner. Avoid over-washing and keep your hair out of hot water. Yay for longer-lasting unicorn locks!
Ready to rock the style? Make sure to tag us in your lockdown looks on Insta and hashtags on TikTok.